Grapes and Vinification
Our vineyards, where the grapes of an ancient variety named “agiorgitiko”3 are being grown, are situated on the slope of Mountain Trito4, 300 meters away from the ancient village of Nemea5, 50 meters from Dervenakia’s Hania6 and 200 meters away from the county borders of Korinthia and Argolida. Biological agriculture is being applied and the grapes are harvested by means of specific wine harvest in the early hours after the full moon of September. The grapes remain in the sun for 3 days7 before vinification.
Vinification - Aging
Vinification and aging is carried out in the modern winery of the Fragos family, at the Maladreni area of the PDO winery zone of Nemea. The comfortable and modern facilities of the Fragos winery allows us to make wine according to the ancient method, as described in ancient manuscripts8
Achilleas Papageorgiou is an agriculturist -oenologist with a 40 year experience in the Nemea area. He suggested the vineyards, supervised the cultivation, the harvest and guided the vinification taking into consideration the ancient way of wine making9. Successfully guiding winegrower and wine maker, he managed to create the same ancient wine in 2013 which the ancient Greeks used to enjoy thousands of years ago.
2. Ancient Greeks were aware that time results beneficially to the quality of wine. Homer’s Iliad 467-475, Homer’s Odyssey, c. 391-92, 9th Olympionikos, 48, Archestrato 59, epitome 29b.“The best for pleasure and health” Athenaeus 7.3 Athenaeus Α58, Theofrastos «About Odor’s » 4 51
3. Variety of ancient pure Irakleotis wine: Athinaeos A58, Theophrastos, “About odours” 4 51
4. The mountain where Moon threw the lion: Greek Mythology, Athinaion publishing p. 268
5. Ancient Nemea or Iraklion.
6. Area of vineyards since ancient times Pausanias, “Periegesis of Greece” 2 38 53
7. Plinios “Natural history”, 14 10 Pantermali E. “Ampelos Pausilipos Oenomitor ” p. 376
8. Must is gathered with low pressure as a 60% of the grapes: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11
9. Filtering, stepping and mixing of the primary cast: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11