This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)
Iracleotis e recipe 2500 years aged wine
Irakleotis Modern – After the idea, the vision, the myth and its demystification, the study of scientific books and ancient manuscripts, we present to you, “Deos – Irakleotis”, a limited production red sweet wine from sundried grapes.
In glass we have a deep purple-ruby color with depth and intensity. On nose intense complexity with aromas of cherry, plum, dried strawberry, berry on the first level but also spices such as pepper, clove, nutmeg to follow with notes of nuts, kaka, tobacco, coffee, caramel to complement its character. In mouth it is rich and balanced with the sweetness balancing the acidity, with strong but well-worked tannins and with an aftertaste that lasts long time.
It is consumed plain, cool from the refrigerator or with ice but also with dilution up to two parts of water, while it functions as an excellent tonic. It can accompany desserts with bitter dark chocolate, nuts and cigars.
Serving Temperature: 14 – 16 ° C
Our vineyards, where the grapes of an ancient variety named “agiorgitiko” are being grown, are situated on the slope of Mountain Trito, 300 meters away from the ancient village of Nemea, 50 meters from Dervenakia’s Hania6 and 200 meters away from the countyborders of Korinthia and Argolida. Biological agriculture is being applied and the grapesare harvested by means of specific wine harvest in the early hours after the full moon of September.
The grapes remain in the sun for 3 days before vinification following the recipe for 2500 years aged wine. Vinification and aging is carried out in the modern winery of the Fragos family, at the Maladreni area of the PDO winery zone of Nemea. The comfortable and modern facilities of the Fragos winery allows us to make wine according to the ancient method, as described in ancient manuscripts.
Achilleas Papageorgiou is an agriculturist-oenologist with a 40 year experience in the Nemea area. He suggested the vineyards, supervised the cultivation, the harvest and guided the vinification taking into consideration the ancient way of wine making. Successfully guiding winegrower and wine maker, he managed to create the same ancient wine in 2013 which the ancient Greeks used to enjoy thousands of years ago. A 2500 years aged wine is an idea of Periklis Papageorgiou.
Irakleotis Modern – Ρeference – Εxplanations
1. The wine originating from an “agiorgitiko” vineyard, which up until today is the main type of vineyard in Nemea.
2. Ancient Greeks were aware that time results beneficially tothe quality of wine. Homer’s Iliad 467-475, Homer’s Odyssey,
c. 391-92, 9th Olympionikos, 48, Archestrato 59, epitome 29b.“The best for pleasure and health” Athenaeus 7.3Athenaeus Α58, Theofrastos «About Odor’s » 4 51
3. Variety of ancient pure Irakleotis wine: Athinaeos A58, Theophrastos, “About odours” 4 51 (a collectible myth wine)
4. The mountain where Moon threw the lion: Greek Mythology, Athinaion publishing p. 268
5. Ancient Nemea or Iraklion.
6. Area of vineyards since ancient times Pausanias, “Periegesis of Greece” 2 38 53
7. Plinios “Natural history”, 14 10 Pantermali E. “Ampelos Pausilipos Oenomitor ” p. 376
8. Must is gathered with low pressure as a 60% of the grapes: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11
9. Filtering, stepping and mixing of the primary cast: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11 (a collectible myth wine)