This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)
Εros ancient Greek wine is an collectible rare wine
After extensive research of ancient greek manuscripts related to wine and its methods of production, we present to you, “Deos -Eros”, a rose dry wine, of the “Agiorgitiko” variety.
Rose, attractive color, with an impressive aromatic palette starring cherry jam, followed by apple, with traces of chocolate and herbs. Sturdy mouth and balanced with a great aftertaste.
It is consumed with oily dishes, fried red mullets, shrimp, cold cuts but also with exotic cuisine such as Chinese, Thai and Mexican.
Serving Temperature: 12 – 14 ° C
Our vineyards, where the grapes of an ancient variety named “agiorgitiko” are being grown, are situated on the slopes around Nemea Area. Vinification and aging is carried out in the modern winery of the Fragos family, at the Maladreni area of the PDO winery zone of Nemea. The comfortable and modern facilities of the Fragos winery allows us to make eros ancient Greek wine according to the ancient method, as described in ancient manuscripts8.
Achilleas Papageorgiou is an agriculturist-oenologist with a 40 year experience in the Nemea area. He suggested the vineyards, supervised the cultivation, the harvest and guided the vinification taking into consideration the ancient way of wine making. Successfully guiding winegrower and wine maker, he managed to create the same ancient wine in 2013 which the ancient Greeks used to enjoy thousands of years ago.
Εros ancient Greek wine is an idea of Periklis Papageorgiou
Bibliography – References
1. The eros ancient Greek wine originating from an “agiorgitiko” vineyard. Until today is the main type of vineyard in Nemea.
2. Ancient Greeks were aware that time results beneficially to the quality of wine. Homer’s Iliad 467-475, Homer’s Odyssey,
c. 391-92, 9th Olympionikos, 48, Archestrato 59, epitome 29b.“The best for pleasure and health” Athenaeus 7.3 Athenaeus Α58, Theofrastos «About Odor’s » 4 51
3. Variety of ancient pure Irakleotis wine : Athinaeos A58, Theophrastos, “About odours” 4 51
4. The mountain where Moon threw the lion: Greek Mythology, Athinaion publishing p. 268
5. Ancient Nemea or Iraklion.
6. Area of vineyards since ancient times Pausanias. “Periegesis of Greece” 2 38 53
7. Plinios “Natural history”, 14 10 Pantermali E. “Ampelos Pausilipos Oenomitor ” p. 376 (eros ancient Greek wine)
8. Must is gathered with low pressure as a 60% of the grapes: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11
9. Filtering, stepping and mixing of the primary cast: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11 (collectible rare wine)
The basic edition includes a botlle of “DEOS Eros” 750ml.
Weight: 0,75gr,Height: 25cm,Width: 10cm,Depth: 10cm