Deos Achilleas Ancient Wine
After extensive research of ancient greek manuscripts related to wine and its methods of production, we present to you, “Deos -Achilleas”, a red dry wine.
Dark ruby color with intensity. Intense on nose, aromas of ripe dark fruits and spicy spices emerge. Equally aromatic mouth with strong good quality tannins, fresh acidity and discreet presence of pepper and nutmeg with a great aftertaste.
Consumed with red meats with spicy spice sauces, baked pork, feathered game and aged yellow cheeses.
Serving Temperature: 16 – 18 ° C
Our vineyards, where the grapes of an ancient variety named “agiorgitiko”3 are being grown, are situated on the slopes around Nemea Area.
Vinification and aging is carried out in the modern winery of the Fragos family, at the Maladreni area of the PDO winery zone of Nemea. The comfortable and modern facilities of the Fragos winery allows us to make wine according to the ancient method, as described in ancient manuscripts8.
Achilleas Papageorgiou is an agriculturist-oenologist with a 40 year experience in the Nemea area. He suggested the vineyards, supervised the cultivation, the harvest and guided the vinification taking into consideration the ancient way of wine making. Successfully guiding winegrower and wine maker, he managed to create the same ancient wine in 2013 which the ancient Greeks used to enjoy thousands of years ago.
Ρeference – Εxplanations
1. The wine originating from an “agiorgitiko” vineyard, which up until today is the main type of vineyard in Nemea.
2. Ancient Greeks were aware that time results beneficially to the quality of wine. Homer’s Iliad 467-475, Homer’s Odyssey,
c. 391-92, 9th Olympionikos, 48, Archestrato 59, epitome 29b.“The best for pleasure and health” Athenaeus 7.3 Athenaeus Α58, Theofrastos «About Odor’s » 4 51
3. Variety of ancient pure Irakleotis wine: Athinaeos A58, Theophrastos, “About odours” 4 51
4. The mountain where Moon threw the lion: Greek Mythology, Athinaion publishing p. 268
5. Ancient Nemea or Iraklion.
6. Area of vineyards since ancient times Pausanias, “Periegesis of Greece” 2 38 53
7. Plinios “Natural history”, 14 10 Pantermali E. “Ampelos Pausilipos Oenomitor ” p. 376
8. Must is gathered with low pressure as a 60% of the grapes: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11
9. Filtering, stepping and mixing of the primary cast: Plinios “Natural History” 14, 11
The basic edition includes a botlle of “DEOS Achilleas” 750ml.
Weight: 0,75gr,Height: 25cm,Width: 10cm,Depth: 10cm